- I Went Mac, But Then I Went Back - Part 1
- I Went Mac, But Then I Went Back - Part 2
- I Went Mac, But Then I Went Back - Part 3
- I Went Mac, But Then I Went Back - Part 4
In this post I want to show a price comparison on computers. The table below shows the specs and price of my new computer, as well as the specs and price of a comparable Mac laptop. There are a few features on my new laptop that you cannot get on a Mac and vice-versa.
- I think the biggest reason Macs are so much more expensive is because you are buying the logo. You are buying the Apple logo on the back of the computer/iPhone/iPad, etc. Apple knows that their products are popular. They know that people will but them, so they raise the prices - a lot!
- When you buy a Mac computer, you are buying a Mac. What I mean by this is that there isn't a bunch of other 3rd-party software pre-installed on a Mac. This 3rd-party software is known as "bloatware." When you buy a Windows computer you will notice that there is always a bunch of other software installed right out of the box. For instance, when I bought my computer there were probably 20 different software programs ranging from games, photo software and other trial software. One reason why Windows computer are cheaper is because they come with bloatware. These 3rd-party software companies pay computer manufacturers to have their software pre-installed on each of their computers. It may not be an extreme cost per computer, but when you figure 20 or more programs installed on your computer, the price did come down a bit. Although this software is annoying to have on your Windows computer, they can all be uninstalled if you really don't want it. I think I spent maybe 20 minutes uninstalling all of the bloatware on my computer. Is 20 minutes uninstalling software worth the price difference to you?
- I mentioned this a little bit in a previous post, but the hardware may be more expensive in a Mac than a Windows computer. Mac laptops are built with an aluminum body, whereas my computer may look aluminum, I can tell that it is just a hard plastic that has been painted to look like aluminum.
Anyway, those are some of my opinions as to why a Mac computer, or any Apple product, is more expensive than a Windows computer. In my opinion, the $2,000 cost difference is a major deal breaker for me getting a Mac. I feel like I have gained a lot more with my new laptop than I would had I bought a Mac, and for a LOT cheaper!